Friday, November 4, 2011

Chapter 20

I’m sitting in front of my computer, an hour before work, and I don’t know what I’m going to write. That’s a nice way to start off a chapter. Maybe you’re sitting there thinking, “If you don’t know what you’re going to write, then what makes you think I will want to read it?” I can understand that, but please have patience - I’m sure I’ll come up with something...

I’m trying to peer into the lives of the three main characters, to see what’s happening to them, only my lens is fuzzy. I can see Michel returning home, unlocking the front door. He’s sure Jackie is there. Her car is parked out front. He opens the door to the sounds of two people grunting, breathing hard. When did Jackie get a boyfriend? Her door is closed, so they must be attempting a triathalon or something. He slams the door. The sound echoes through the apartment. He walks past the bedroom to get something to drink. He’s not really thirsty. Remove glass from cupboard. Clunk on table. Slam cupboard shut. Pour water. Put water back in refrigerator. Drink. Slam glass in sink. Walk heavily past bedroom door to living room. Turn on television. Watch the latest political nonsense with the sound up too high. After a few minutes, Jackie walks into the living room, wearing only a long shirt. “You want to turn that down?”

“Oh, is it bothering you?” Michel asks.

“Yes.”

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to make so much noise.”

A man walks out of the bedroom. He has long hair to his waist, his arms covered in tattoos. His eyebrow is pierced, as is his lip and ears. With his shirt on, Michel could not see he had his nipple pierced as well. “Who’s this,” he asks, nodding at Michel.

“He’s my roommate,” Jackie says.

“You didn’t tell me you had a roommate. Where’s he sleep?”

“In here. On the hide-a-bed. I think his girlfriend would object if he slept with me.”

“I could see that. Has it stopped him?”

“No,” Jackie says. “You have a problem with that?”

“When was the last time he fucked you, and I’ll tell you.”

“This morning.”

“This morning! I fuckin’ ate you out!”

“I took a shower, Doug. Chill out,” Jackie said, rolling her eyes.

“Do you kids want to be left alone to discuss this?” Michel asked.

“Fuck no,” Doug said. “If she wants to keep fucking you, she can keep fucking you...”

“Doug, when was the last time you fucked someone?”

“That don’t matter...”

“Yes it does, you goddamn hypocrite. What makes you think you can fuck one woman one night, then a different woman another night and that’s all right, but it’s not all right if I do the same thing? Hell, you knew I wasn’t a virgin...”

“Yeah, but I didn’t know you were a...” Doug was smart enough to stop himself right there.

Jackie raised her eyebrows. “That I was a what?”

“Fuck. Never mind.”

“You’re right, never mind. Fuck you. You can get the fuck out of my apartment. You’re not going to treat me as less than human because I’m acting the same way as you. You can fuck off.”

“Jackie, listen...”

“You heard her,” Michel said. “Now be a good little boy and fuck off.”

Doug spun toward him, his mouth turning cruel, his eyes hot. Jackie stepped in front of him. “Doug, you heard me. Get out.”

Doug turned and walked into Jackie’s bedroom. He returned with his shoes on, everything put back in place, and left without saying anything to either one. As the door shut behind him, Jackie turned to Michel: “I hope you’re happy.”

“What?”

“Fuck you, bitch,” Jackie said. “Stomping through the house, slamming things around, watching the T.V. full blast.”

“You’re the one told him we were still fucking. Nice way to keep a secret.”

“Next time you hear me fucking someone, do me a favor and take a walk. If I’m fucking him, he’s on his way home. It won’t be fifteen, twenty minutes at most.”

“If that’s all they can do, what you need them for anyway?”

“They’re usually not thinking of other things while they’re fucking me, so it doesn’t take them as long, Michel.”

“So, you still horny?” Michel asked.

“What? Maybe you hadn’t noticed, but I just got me some dick.”

“And?”

“And, if you want to fuck so bad, get in here...” Jackie turned toward her bedroom. Michel stood to follow. “He may have finished, but I didn't. Oh, by the way,” Jackie said. “Sarah called. She wants you to call her back. I’m sure it can wait until we’re done, though.”

Pulling his shirt over his head, Michel said, “Yeah, I’m sure it can.”

No comments:

Post a Comment