Thursday, August 18, 2011

My Brother on Beauty

My brother is going on and on about beauty and how, since he's here in Dallas, and since I'm a grad student at UT-Dallas, that he just has to meet Frederick Turner. My understanding was that Turner was a poet, not a painter, but my brother says he's not interested in his poetry, but in his ideas on beauty. He's also obsessed with the ideas on beauty of Woody Brock, who appears to be some sort of economist or something. Brock's idea is that beautiful objects have themes and transformations -- if one is complex, the other is simple, and vice versa, if you want it to be beautiful. At least this guy is interested in the beauty of physical objects, rather than of poems.

I mostly tune out when my brother begins talking about beauty. I could care less about beauty. More than that, I reject it. Donna is certainly no beauty -- quite the contrary -- and that's how I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment